Today I began by doing some work in the style of Jackson Pollock. He uses the technique of dripping paint onto the canvas to create very expressive paintings. In order to experiment with this in my work I tried dripping the paint whilst writing the poem onto the page.
To create this I watered down red and black acrylic paint and let it drip off of the palette knife whilst moving it in the motion of the words in the poem. This created the poem in a very abstract way because it doesn’t look much like a poem at all. However I find it interesting how when looking closely there are elements of writing and words which can be made out. Although not my favourite technique I have used so far I still like it as an abstract technique and I think it could be effective to try this combined with some of my more refined work.
I have found some more interesting research from a arts newspaper I was given a while ago. It had a piece in it by Sally Morfill and Ana Čavić called The Naturalness of Strange Things. I decided to research into it further for this project. It is a series of works responding to Henri Michaux’s drawing Alphabet. Morfill (mis) translated some of Michaux’s writing work trying to capture unfamiliar graphic marks with the speed and fluidity of handwriting. I found this interesting as I have been looking at handwriting in a sense that can’t be read and is a form of mark making. These redrawn lines were also cut from vinyl sheets to turn into small scale sculptures. “Each of Čavić’s proms is a formation of meaningful, albeit tangled, writings out of the same set of meaningless (in the sense that they cannot be read and understoof as language) fragments of drawing. In their undoing- as the careful reader unpicks their legible forms and gleans meanings- the fluid peons revert back and forth between sculpture and concrete poetry, evading and sometimes defying any definition of reading.” This related to me because this links to my concept of allowing the reader/viewer to make their own meaning of my work and to unpick my work through looking for areas and elements they can read and make meaning from. This was useful as some extra background research to relate to my project and ideas.
Later today I had my progress tutorial with Sarah explaining what inbad done so far and where I was up to in my project. This was useful to go through my project and find out what needs to be added/made better. Overall she said she was happy with how my project was going which was great for reassurance for me as I have been getting a little bit stressed recently thinking I haven’t done enough and that I won’t get it all done. We spoke about what I should aim to do next and I now need to complete the final stages of my research ensuring that all my book is annotated to allow me to really start pulling together ideas. I’m also going to look at what I’ve done so far and find which areas are the best in my opinion and pull it all together working towards a final idea and outcome. I will do this by evaluating each area/piece and explore areas I like further possibly considering a combination of skills and techniques as well as ways of producing original pieces with my own style to work towards final outcomes. This really helped me to know what I need to be doing and working with now in order to push my project further and it gave me more confidence in my project. I am happy with where I am at and how I am moving forward into my own personal style. I have taken on board all of the advice Sarah has given me and this has motivated me to work really hard on what it is I am doing for the next couple of weeks.