FMP journal 21

FMP reflective journal

Tuesday 18/04/17

Today I have started another element of research in my project which is looking at writing/language as a form of communication. I was inspired to do this because I found an interesting article about it online. It speaks about how significant language is and how important it is in society to create a sense of community as well as for  social aspects. It talks about how writing/language is both influenced by society and influences society itself. 



“Language is an actor that both shapes and is shaped by the social community in which it plays a significant role.”

I found the article really interesting and thought it would be a good way of adding a bit more depth to my research by adding this extra element. 

I then went on to create a mind map of ideas of how writing is used for communication. 


This included poetry, hand written letters, diaries, songs, stories etc.

Later today we got into groups of 4 with people we don’t usually speak to and talked them through our projects so far, showing them what we have done. I found this really useful because speaking about my ideas out loud to people really helps to make them clearer in my head, as well as this because I hadn’t really spoken to them about my project yet this helped to make me speak about my project in detail explaining all the links. They filled out feedback forms for me each which was useful because they all adviced me on things I could do to improve my project. I was told to look a finnegans wake to add more to my project, as well as Robert Rauchenbergs Erase de Kooning. They also advised me to looking into translating the poem I have been using into different languages/alphabets to give even more of an abstract element, and they told me to experiment with photography processes. So this was very useful. 

After this I went away with the advise I was given and did a bit more research. I thought that including Finnegans wake in my project would be a really good idea as it would just add even more depth and context to my work.

It is a piece of text written in normal English but doesn’t make any literal sense. This means it is left for each reader to make a different interpretation of their meaning. I thought this would fit in nicely with my project so I slotted it in with my earlier research with asemic writing. 


I also did some research on Robert Rauchenbergs Erase de Kooning and inserted this into my project where it was relevant again to show more context.

I then went on to google translate and put in the poem I have been using throughout my project translating it into different languages where they use different alphabets. I wanted to do this so that the words used different symbols for letters to really make sure that I wouldn’t be able to read them so that it is abstract work. I translated into Russian, Korean and Thai and I think I will would from these in similar ways to what I have done so far with the poem but see what affect different alphabets have.



I have found today really useful and think I have made a lot of progress within my project. I now feel like I am getting to where I want to be with my concept, and in order for my project to go further I now think I need to show more experimentation with methods and materials.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s