Today I continued with my primary research by repeating the same technique as before but looking specifically at age. To do this I asked members of my family to repeat the same sentence in their natural handwriting style.
From this I analysed the different styles members of my family use. This research helped me to realise that handwriting can hold memories and sometimes it is possible to tell how old someone is just from their handwriting.
To continue looking at age I also analysed my own handwriting and how it has changed as I have grown up. I collected pieces of writing from when I was younger at different ages and presented them in my sketchbook to illustrate my handwriting journey.
Today I was working in the style of my first artist Maria Wigley. I wanted to experiment with handwriting and stitch combined so I started by using calico and black stitch on free machine setting on my sewing machine and used one of Maria Wigley’s pieces as inspiration.
I enjoyed this technique and I think it was quite successful because even though I used the sewing machine you still get the effect of my personal handwriting style in the stitch. I was also happy with the effect of the words all becoming joined through stitch to give more of a continuous line effect as well as the hanging threads which adds to this.
I then wanted to develop working in stitch in more of a personal way but still inspired by my artist. Maria Wigley uses a lot of poetry in her stitch work combined with photographs of places that hold memories for her. I wanted to replicate this in my own personal way so I researched a poem which I could use that related to me.
I chose the poem ‘To A Daughter Leaving Home’ by Linda Pastan because I can relate to this as I will be leaving home in September to go to university. I printed the poem off in a similar style to how Maria Wigley does with her poems she uses. I then stitched part of the poem onto a thin, partly see through fabric in the same way as I experimented with before by linking all the words and leaving long, hanging threads. As well as this I took a photograph of the outside of my house with my Polaroid camera to include a visual element in the same way as my artist does.
I layered up all parts and this was the final outcome. I really like the layered effect and how the poem is still faintly visible in the background, with the most powerful part of the poem (in my opinion) in bold through stitch. If I was to do it again I would possibly use a fabric/surface that was completely see through to stitch on as I think this would be more effective with more of the poem being visible.
Before next week I want to have collated more artist research that incorporates stitch with handwriting to finalise my research into handwriting specifically. I then want to begin taking my project into a more abstract direction next week through research into asemic writing as this will enable me to be much more expressive as well as being able to use a wide range of materials for my work.